Sunday, March 23, 2008

Fire you? You must be kidding!

This is a story about Thomas J. Watson, Sr., the founder of IBM. One day, Watson called a young vice president into his office after the vice president had just spent $10 million of the company’s money developing a new product line that had failed.

The vice president came into Watson’s office and said immediately, "I know that you are going to fire me for losing all of that money. I just want you to know that I am sorry, and I will leave without causing any problems."

Watson replied with these famous words: "Fire you? You must be kidding! I’ve just invested $10 million on your education. Now, let’s talk about your next assignment."

Is these type of answer really possible in our organization?

Even if a guy who did a mistake which didn't cost much to the project?

I don't see any manager takes mistakes as the learning activity and they shout at the employee. In some cases thrown the employee out of the job.