Sunday, May 29, 2011

Ducks quack.. Eagles soar..


Years ago, writer and motivational speaker Wayne Dyer said, “There are two kinds of people in this world: ducks and eagles.” Ducks quack a lot and make all kinds of noise. Eagles go about their business and soar above the crowd. When a customer problem arises, you can tell a lot about an organization. This is usually when ducks and eagles appear.

Eagles flourish in organizations where the customer is the focus, while ducks multiply in places where boss pleasing and policy following carry the day. Let me give you an example.

I once tried to rent a car in Ithaca, NY. I planned to fly out of Syracuse, so I asked for a car from Syracuse in order to avoid the drop-off fee. The clerk located a car from Syracuse, but the $50 fee remained on my contract. “I can’t take it off, my computer won’t let me, and my boss would kill me,” she quacked. It took me twenty minutes to get this woman to remove the drop-off fee. What kind of organization do you think she works for?

From “The Heart Of a Leader” by Ken Blanchard Pg. 160

No comments:

Post a Comment